03 January 2012

Re-Stocking the Dungeon; Last of the updates & comments

As I mentioned last time in regard to the NPC Profile articles, I may at some point update and convert the material in old posts that is specific to the Greyhawk setting, but not today. This also includes the spells and magic items articles.

Ability Scores and Spellcasting

I really like this bit of house ruling. Game balance is not a precise science, and in actual play, I have never seen anything to make me think that giving magic-users or clerics an extra spell or two each adventure day unfairly biases the game against fighters or thieves. I strongly agree with the suggestion to not grant these bonus spells to Elves or other non-human spellcasters though, they have an edge already.

A couple options for Magic Users

I loved these options when they were introduced at our game, and recommend them strongly.

There is one clarification I'd like to make though. Unlike the spell versions of Detect Magic and Analyze Dweomer/Identify Magic, these abilities require that the magic user of elf actually pick up and handle the item, possibly triggering any curses or ill effects of doing so! This does not grant the ability to scan a room and see what's magical, the PC must pick up a suspected item and closely inspect and experiment with it to determine its nature.

That about does it for comments on chatdemon's old articles here in the Dungeon. If you recall, I mentioned that I have some further thoughts and revisions on my own Spellcasting for Non Humans article, that's coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!